The most common barriers to purchase are:
It’s too expensive
- If you understand the value that your solution brings to the customer, as well as the competition offering and price, this should not be an issue
- It can be difficult to differentiate between the case where it is really too expensive, and the case where the customer is lying and is simply trying to reduce price
- Some customers always want discount, so it can be appropriate to bid 20%-30% higer to keep some slack.
It’s not going to work / to work for me
- Show how it is working for other customers with similar background or challenges. Use references!
I’m going to wait
- Sometime the customer does not understand that he has a problem. Or that he will have a problem in 6 months and needs to anticipate
- Maybe this is wrong timing: get back to him every 3 months
- Maybe he does not have the budget and you need to wait as well.
It’s too difficult
- Help them improve their skills
- Don’t sell something that your customer can’t use.