A good salesman is someone who:
- listens more than he talks
- asks the right questions:
- Who, what, when etc
- Avoid questions that the customer can answer by ‘yes’ or ‘no’
- but is also communicative, and doesn’t mind picking up his phone to call people who are entirely unknown to him
In sales, you need to ‘under-promise, over-deliver’. Don’t do it the other way round, ever if you like all the technical features that your solution has. Keep something as a ‘bonus’ or ‘surprise’ that the customer did not expect. This helps increase customer satisfaction.
A good salesman creates trust and invests in long-term relationship. In particular, you can:
- help you customers solves their problems
- give them something for free once in a while
- confess your ‘little faults’. Nobody likes people who seem to be perfect, this creates mistrust
- be honest
Finally, as a sales person, you need to have a thick skin. A success rate of 10% is great!