Who is the customer? The better you can describe your customers, the better you show that you understand what their needs are. And the better you understand their needs, the better you can sell something of value to them.
They are two types of businesses. Are you a B2B or a B2C?
- Business-to-Business (B2B): in a B2B business you have few customers but they are large. Who are the companies you are selling to?
- Size? Industry? Region? Country?
- Within your target companies: who are you selling to? The CTO? CFO? CCO?
- Business-to-Consumers (B2C): in a B2C business you have thousands of customers – private individuals. Who is the consumer? You need to segment, segment, segment:
- Boys & girls?
- Male adults?
- Mums with kids?
- Senior people?
A couple of examples:
- If you are Harley-Davidson, who is your target market?
- f you are P&G and sells diapers, who is your target market?