The 80-20 rule (also called the Pareto rule) is everywhere. OK, it might not always be 80-20 but 70-30 instead, but you get the idea. A couple of examples:
- 20% of customers generate 80% of revenues and 100% of the profit (or more than 100%, as the other customers generate losses…)
- 20% of your customers generate 80% of your problems
- 20% of your actions today generate 80% of your results
- 20% of your employees do 80% of the useful work in the company
- 20% of your cloths (shoes, ties, you name it) are worn 80% of the time!
And vice-versa: the last 10%-20% of performance generate 60%-80% of the work!